Ever gone to boot up MAMP, apache starts fine but then MYSQL refuses to?
I’ve run into this problem on many occasions and in most cases the following method works:
1. Shut down MAMP.
2. Open Terminal or iTerm and type ‘killall -9 mysqld‘ (Note you may need to type ‘sudo‘ at the beginning if it doesn’t work).
3. Relaunch MAMP and it should be working as normal again.
Annoyingly, I recently encountered the MYSQL issue yet again and the above method didn’t work! What to do?
After browsing around the internet I was fortunate enough to find another solution which did work.
After shutting down MAMP again:
1. Browse to your MAMP directory (Applications/MAMP).
2. Click inside the DB folder.
3. …Then inside the MYSQL folder.
4. Backup the entire MYSQL folder somewhere. I have noticed DB tables can go missing using this method.
5. NEW: In order to make this work and preserve your databases, only delete the two log files in this folder (or move them in case something breaks) they are called ib_logfile0 and ib_logfile1. DO NOT DELETE ibdata1 or your WP installs etc will clear all the database tables!!
This second method pretty much saved my life as I was at a bit of a loss after method 1 didn’t work.
Hope this helps some of you out!